Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pack Three

Pack 3 +15
399 Ron Hassey
420 Leon Durham
157 Glenn Braggs
532 Paul Assenmacher
372 Mike Campbell
85 Mike Krukow
66 Matt Nokes
585 Tony Gwynn
570 Cal Ripken, Jr.
522 Mike Marshall
279 Dennis Eckersley
201 Floyd Youmans
259 Mark Gubicza
644 Major League Prospects (Greg Myers, Greg Tabor)
464 Ed Correa

You can't ask for a much better pack than this. It was going along, just so-so. Nothing special until I came across Matt Nokes. His career didn't live up to the expectations, but in 1988 he was a young star.

But after Nokes is where it got good. I flipped Nokes over, and there was Tony Gwynn looking at me. A Hall of Famer and one of my favorite players ever, second only to Cal Ripken, Jr.


I really like how Fleer used the team colors in the banner at the bottom. It kinda ties everything together and somehow manages to not clash with the red and blue stripes. It would be nice if those stripes matched the team colors too, though.

I also noticed when I was putting these scans together, that today is Tony's 49th birthday, how fitting that I pulled his card today. Happy Birthday Tony Gywnn!

As I was thinking how much I like Tony Gwynn and that I hope I pull Ripken out of the box somewhere, who do I see next?


So in one pack I pulled the entire HoF class of 2007. But it wasn't over yet. A few cards later and there's Dennis Eckersley. Three Hall of Famers in one pack is pretty nice. I'm going to say this is an early season contender for best pack of the box.


I also pulled the rookie card of Greg Myers and Greg Tabor. Myers stuck around as a part time player until the conclusion of the 2005 season and finished with a .255 average with 87 homeers and 396 RBIs in 1108 games.

The stats you see for Tabor are it for his Major League career. Nine games, nine at bats, one hit, one RBI and four runs scored. His one hit, a double, came on September 29, 1987 against Twins pitcher Dan Schatzeder. He moved to third on a wild pitch and then scored on a Bob Brower single. Tabor was pinch hit for his next at bat.

His other three runs scored came as a pinch runner on September 10, 27 and October 1, 1987.

He was traded to the Cubs in March 1988, but never played for the big club and retired after that one season with Triple-A Iowa.

Today's sticker was the St. Louis Cardinals.

0 comments: