Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pack Fifteen

Pack 15 +6
(duplicates are indicated by bold text)
226 Jeff Russell
347 Mickey Hatcher
460 John Kruk
257 Jesse Barfield
242 Todd Stottlemyer
238 Pete Incaviglia

59 Melido Perez
479 Tracy Jones
162 Kirby Puckett
397 Larry McWilliams
20 Tom Fischer
447 Donell Nixon

Here's the second pack with a large block of doubles, these are from pack twelve. Doubles don't bother me, but when there's six of them in a pack of twelve cards, especially when I'm less than half way through the set I get irritated.

I can't really complain too much because I've opened fifteen packs so far and only two contained doubles, but in those two packs I've essentially lost an entire pack because half of each were doubles.

In the end, I'm just thankful that collation in 2009 is much better than it was twenty years ago. I look at '09 Heritage, it's comparable in size to '89 Bowman (500 in Heritage, 484 in Bowman) and out of two blasters I have no doubles.

But whatever, onto the cards...

This box is getting a bit morbid. For the third day in a row, I've pulled a card of someone who is no longer with us. This time it's a Hall of Famer.


What could he have done with another six or seven years? I don't think 350 home runs would have been out of line, 1800 RBIs.

We'll unfortunately never know. But what he did accomplish in his 12 seasons was nothing short of greatness and he was deserving of the Hall of Fame.

Moving on.


Eric Show's picture was creepy, this one is just flat out horrible. It looks to have been taken on a high school field and judging from the position of his bottom lip, he's about to say something that rhymes with "duck pew" to the camera man.

What can we say about Tom Fischer? He was the 12th pick in the first round of the June 1988 draft by the Red Sox out of the University of Wisconsin. His minor league numbers aren't great, but they're not really terrible either. He was one game under .500 for his career (41-42) and struck out 468 batters in 643.2 innings of work. Certainly not terrible. I'm a bit surprised that he never got a chance to pitch at the Major League level, especially considering how bad the Red Sox were in '92 and '93 (years where Fischer was playing in either Double- or Triple-A). His ERA was on the high side though.

He ended his career after the 1993 season with Double-A New Britain.

At some point, I'll have to go through this set and find out how many players never made it to the Majors.

0 comments: