Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pack Nineteen

Pack 19 +6
(duplicates are indicated by bold text)
89 Cory Snyder
473 Robby Thompson
450 Dennis Rasmussen
305 Rob Dibble
320 Jim Deshaies
29 Luis Rivera

119 Bob Boone
258 Sandy Alomar
41 Bert Blyleven
338 Ricky Horton
6 Gregg Olson
102 Ricco Brogna

Not the best pack in the world to celebrate Opening Night, that's ok. I'll be happy as long as the Braves put up a good fight against the Phillies.

I'm getting close to 50% of the set and should be there in about three days assuming the next three packs are free of doubles. I think that's pretty good progress and I'll be happy with 70% from this box. There are 432 cards in a box and 484 cards in the set, with no doubles that would be right at 90% of the set, so I don't think my goal of 70% is unrealistic or unreachable.

Moving along...


Here's a fresh faced Rico Brogna in a Tigers uniform. His first name is spelled wrong on the back of the card and I can't find any information on whether or not it was corrected. The only book I have lists it as card number 102 "Rico Brogna (R)," with no mention of the spelling error.

When I think of Brogna, I think of the Mets, but he was drafted by the Tigers in June 1988 as the 26th pick of the first round. He made his Major League debut with the Tigers in 1992, but only played in nine games for Detroit and spent the entire 1993 season at Triple-A Toledo.

On March 31, 1994 he was traded to the Mets for Alan Zinter. The Mets clearly got the better end of that deal as Zinter toiled away in the minors with seven different organizations before making his Major League debut in 2002 for the Astros, at age 34. He hit 276 minor league home runs (plus three ML homers) in 19 seasons.

But I digress.

Brogna played parts of three seasons with the Mets before being traded to the Phillies for Toby Borland and Ricardo Jordan on November 27, 1996.

He was later picked up off the waiver wire by the Red Sox for the last two months of the 2000 season after which he was granted free agency. He signed with Atlanta for his final season in 2001.

Rico Brogna will be remembered by history for hitting the first home run at Coors' Field in Denver.

These days he's a football coach at Wesleyan University.

That's all I've got today. Hopefully I can celebrate a Braves victory tonight.

0 comments: